This is what my life has looked like the past few weeks: traveling around back and forth between North Carolina and Virginia (and briefly, Texas!) Boat rides and long runs and afternoon thunderstorms. Opportunities and disappointments. Possibility and uncertainty. Waiting. Catching up on reading. List-making. (Always list-making.) More waiting. Taking pictures of flowers.
The most exciting news as of late is that we booked a venue and a date for our wedding next spring (!!!), and spent a wonderful, relaxing Easter weekend at home with family.
But mostly, my days are made up of alternately 1) planning way far in advance and 2) trying not to think much about the future in hopes of avoiding panic attacks. I’m reveling in unstructured time (so much reading; so many breakfast sandwiches) and then also loathing it, because truth be told, I am a structure-loving gal at heart.
This is a season of me trying to lean into fear and uncertainty….and succeeding and failing in roughly equal measure.
And so, onward we go! On Sunday, Chris and I are headed to Denver to visit friends, drink beer, and go hiking, which JUST SO HAPPEN to be three of our favorite things in the world! So I’m very much looking forward to that.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend, whatever season you’re in. To kick it off, here are a few things that have been entertaining, educating and/or inspiring me lately:
- This book. After months of being on my Kindle wishlist, I finally downloaded it last week and promptly devoured it in about two days. Now, I kind of wish I had bought a print copy for highlighting and margin-noting. I can’t believe it took me this long to read it!
- This podcast. (Just in case you’ve been living under a rock.) It’s as fascinating as the first Serial, while also being completely its own thing. And just when you think you have it figured out, it becomes something entirely different. Just beautiful reporting and storytelling.
- This made me laugh: The art of getting rid of my child’s art. Hilarious and truthful and will 100% be me as a mother. (But especially that part about the googly eyes.)
- 25 famous women on fear. (Nora Ephron! Michelle Obama! J.K. Rowling!)
- Still celebrating.
- I have been wanting to make this summery appetizer. (…Let’s be honest, I would totally eat it for dinner, too.)
- “What were they thinking when they cut down the last palm tree?” A cautionary tale.
- I am loving REI’s #ForceOfNature campaign! So many inspiring and beautiful stories.
- My friend Joe went viral yesterday for his tweets about going on a date with the former general manager of the Times Square Olive Garden. It’s hilarious.
- Why you don’t need to be a thought leader. Because whatever your goals in life are, I think we can all do with a reminder to focus on the substance, not the jargon.
- And finally, THIS TINY HAT FOR TINY PUPPIES.
P.S. Did you know it’s National Park week? Which means that you can visit any national park this weekend FO’ FREE!! Plus, Earth Day is tomorrow! So there’s no excuse not to get out there and enjoy the beautiful spring weather. 🙂